Thursday, October 14, 2010

Warm welcome to Ahunda!

Only a few days ago I was at work in Norway where the computers bleeped, the printers worked away, coffee was readily available and electricity was something no-one even thought about. Now I live in a different world!

Last Saturday I took the plane to Accra, Ghana, where I was picked up from the airport by Blaze (it’s his real name!) and his 2 buddies. They treated me much like my brothers did when they were 15, pretending to be my bodyguards. Contrary to those times, I was very grateful to get some guidance in this foreign place. On Sunday, the guys took me to the great bus station of Accra, where I could choose between a regular large bus (but then you have to get there 3 hours in advance to secure a seat) or a tro-tro, a minivan in which you get very cozy with your fellow passengers.
We opted for the tro-tro to Ho, where the BRIDGE office is. 3 hours and 5 cedi (about 3 USD) later, I unfolded by poor, beaten body into the even more modern bus station of Ho..
The next day, I was picked up by my counterpart VanDijk (that is also his true name) and we squeezed ourselves yet again in the ever reliable tro-tro. After 1,5 hours on a partly flooded (rainstorm) dirt road full of potholes (body massage has gotten a new meaning..) we arrived at our destination: Ahunda Bosso.
I was shown my room in the guesthouse, built by Habitat as part of a housing program. My room is simple – it has a bed, a table and 2 plastic chairs – but exceptional: I have electricity!! My bathroom, however, is not quite so glamorous (but functional nevertheless). It stands next to the guesthouse and consists of 3 holes: 2 that serve as a toilet (thank God I was introduced to the outdoor toilet ‘utedo’ in Norway) and 1 that is my shower. Here I use a bucket of rainwater to wash the dust and sweat off my body twice a day.
On Tuesday, my first day in Ahunda, I was received by the community with a fantastic welcoming ceremony. The dressed up villagers were playing their drums and singing while awaiting my arrival. I was instructed to wait at headmaster Tony’s house, getting more nervous by the minute, until they finally came to collect me. While I was shown where to sit, the men gathered in the middle of the open space, singing and playing their drums while the women danced around them in a circle. Finally they were finished and headed to their designated areas, the elderly respected community members had the seat of honour under the old shady tree. Many speeches later, the time for blessing had come. The Gods in the east and west were thanked for my arrival (no pressure!). I did not understand a word of this Ewe ceremony, but I did notice there was a bit of Gin drinking and pouring it onto the ground involved..
After I had thanked them for such a welcome and promising to say only good things about Ghana to my friends and also promising to do my best to help them develop their community, the older women came to decorate me with beads and a scarf, making me an official guest to their community – which subsequently required me to dance with them.
My dancing skills (?!) were much appreciated and when the drums finally fell silent, we all took to the dusty road to return to our homes..

2 comments:

Laila Isaksen said...

Hé Sis,

Laila en ik hebben net je blog gelezen. Wat een mooi ontvangst zeg. We vroegen ons af met wat voor een organisatie je daar naar toe bent gegaan en wat je precies gaat doen. Het lijkt erop alsof ze heel veel van je verwachten met zo'n welkomst...
Maandag hebben we kijkers die voor de tweede keer komen.. spannend.

Heel veel plezier nog en geniet lekker van alle weken weg van het drukke business woman life in Noorwegen. Back to the basics in Ghana :)

Liefs Laila en Bro.

Anonymous said...

Oaow!! Litt av en velkomst. Bra toalett/bad syns jeg du har fått. Nå gjelder det bare å treffe . . . Blir spennende å følge med deg.

Hilsen fra NIna C.